Sunday, June 3, 2012

Olympus Micro Four Thirds



After a long wait, I will be upgrading my "main" camera rig to an Olympus OM-D EM5 Micro 4/3 camera. I am big fan of Micro 4/3. In fact, I just picked up a Panasonic GF3 just a few weeks ago due to an incredible deal on on the 14mm f/2.5 combo. I can't wait to get the OM-D to add to my stable of Micro 4/3.

I've been a the micro four third fan since the original PEN EP-1. I've had that camera since 2009. Four years and counting. It was revolutionary in the way it changed my photography. People will deride the camera as slow focusing but I don't care.  The best camera is the one that you have with you and I've taken that camera with me on various overseas trips. I love the portability factor over my Canon Rebel dSLR.

I've used it mostly with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 along with a host of manual lenses from Pentax M42, Leica M-Mount, OM, Canon FD, and even the small Pentax 110 mounts.

With a Pentax 110 mount

The PEN looks stylish with a leather strap and 1/2 case (not pictured).
The 20mm Panasonic is a great piece of optics.

So, I am definitely looking forward to the OM-D and what it offers. I will put away the PEN into away into a display cabinet because it is such a beautiful piece of machinery. I was debating about getting another PEN body. Best Buy has them for $150 online.

I wished Olympus stuck with the rangefinder style and made a camera similar to the FUJU x100.  The OM-D looks to much like a 70's SLR to me with the triangle viewfinder hump.

It is funny that the new "OM-D" looks like the my old OM-1 camera (that I have in storage somewhere). Here are some beauty shots with my digital PEN. I look forward to re-doing a beauty shot with my new OM-D, PEN and OM-1.




Some photographs taken with a "low-end" micro four third camera. Using manual focus and a Voigtlander 40mm  f/1.4 Leica M-Mount lens.






No comments:

Post a Comment