Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Adventures in moving to a new place.

I've been really busy and I don't even have internet at my new place yet. It has been a bit crazy so no new tech postings. A few things noteworthy.

First, if you have three floors, do not wire your house with CAT6 wiring. I made that mistake. There are cable length issues and you will need to add some switches or repeaters if you want gigabit. I'm only getting 100 Mbit. I may have to go back and do CAT5E. I did get a new Wi-Fi router with the new AC standard so I'll see how that works.

I discovered Foscam. I've used other IP cameras in the past but I think I am going to standardize on the fi8910w. It works pretty well and I can access and control them with my phone. The Wi-Fi range is pretty good on these so I can stick them anywhere.


I'm still working on my home offices.

So far, I have a small 27" iMac set-up. Doesn't this look stylish with an Artimede Tolomeo desk lamp and a Herman Miller Eames Soft Pad management chair? That is about four grand in office gear before counting the iMac. I feel like Don Draper in that set-up.


For my real workspace, I have a vintage Bent Silberg desk with a Knoll Charles Pollock chair. I wanted a bigger desk to support 3 monitors. You can feel the retro vibe. Since my entire house is mid-century Herman Miller Eames, I may want to swap this out with the Eames ESU storage and a EDU desk unit. Man, that stuff is crazy expensive. $5-6 grand for desks and shelves. Then add the chairs, you'll have yourself a 10 grand office. This will suffice for now.


And for my laptop lounging, the Eames Lounge with an Otto MAG side table. The lounger is absolutely worth the drool. I look forward to spending a few years and decades with that chair.




Hopefully, things will settle in. I got a bunch of new electronic gadgets that need to be un-boxed.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting that you had such issues with CAT6 wiring. I was about to start doing something similar at my home until I read your article. So I did some digging around and found that the quality of CAT6 or any CATx for that matter varies greatly. This article (http://t.co/sNcnbTjgKK) states that 80% of CATx wiring does not meet the specification. When you ran your CAT6 did you choose a particular brand? I am wonder if your cable does not actually meet the standard like most and thats causing your problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be the case. I purchased a few different variety from amazon and frys. I may re-wire but haven't been able to make the time.

      Delete
    2. I also want to note I do get gigabit in certain rooms depending on the length. The rooms that are the furthest are the ones giving me problems.

      Delete
  2. Hey, (sorry if this is a duplicate) but I don't suppose you could tell me what the small desk you have in the first image on this post? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a discontinued West Elm desk. I don't remember the name

      Delete